The Church of St. Roch

The Church of St. Roch

The San Rocco’s (St. Roch’s) Church, in neo-Renaissance style, has reached its current aspect as a Latin cross after many interventions. At the back of the building, next to the apse, stands the bell tower with a square base, whose cell opens to the outside with a...

At the centre of the square we find something remarkable, which you will remember in discovering many other Tuscan villages and towns. On top of the stone column, the Marzocco rises proudly, a sitting lion whose right leg is resting on a shield with the Florentine Lily in the centre. The Marzocco is in fact the symbol of the domination of the Florentine Signoria which begun in Pistoia in 1401 when it was brought under control by Florence. During the 14th Century, at least up to the period of the Black Death, next to Palazzo Vecchio the Signoria kept a real lion menagerie with about thirty lions, so that the street was named Via dei Leoni (Lions st.). Also today, in Piazza della Signoria in front of Palazzo Vecchio, we can admire a copy of the Marzocco by Donatello. The peculiarity that distinguishes the Marzocco of Larciano from the others lies in the lack of the lion’s head, which, according to tradition, it seems to have been stolen by the nearby and historically enemy village of Cecina.

More to visit in Larciano 

The Church of St. Roch

The Church of St. Roch

The San Rocco’s (St. Roch’s) Church, in neo-Renaissance style, has reached its current aspect as a Latin cross after many interventions. At the back of the building, next to the apse, stands the bell tower with a square base, whose cell opens to the outside with a...